How would you rate TBBT as a comedy show?

Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper are both brilliant physicists working at Caltech in Pasadena, California. They are colleagues, best friends, and roommates. They are also friends with their Caltech colleague’s mechanical engineer Howard Wolowitz and astrophysicist Rajesh Koothrappali. As they are self-professed nerds, all have little or no luck with popular women. Penny, a pretty woman and an aspiring actress originally from Omaha, live in the apartment across the hall from Leonard and Sheldon.
kovou

How would you rate TBBT as a comedy show?

Postby kovou » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:35 am

Personally, I enjoy watching TBBT a lot. The story isn't too complex, has its funny moments, and is pretty much a good show to watch when you're looking to spend the night watching television. However, I've heard some that claim that TBBT is one of the best/funniest shows on television, and anyone that disagrees, simply aren't smart enough to understand any of the scientific concepts that are mentioned in the show. I'm a physicist and I love the show, but I'm not that crazy to consider it as a top tier comedy series. I don't exactly watch this show to laugh, but instead to relax. Unlike other comedy shows like Community and Brooklyn Nine-Nine, with TBBT, you can pretty much figuratively turn off your brain and still follow through the story. Compare this with Community, wherein if you aren't careful, you'd miss a lot of jokes cleverly inserted here and there.

Overall, I'd give it around 8/10, however comedy wise, I'd give it a 7/10. I think the main appeal of the show and why it's so popular is that it's very easy to follow unlike the less popular but more meta comedy series like Community.

What are your thoughts?

kim1984

Re: How would you rate TBBT as a comedy show?

Postby kim1984 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:07 am

I think overall it's a brilliant show as evidenced by the fact that we're already at 8 seasons!

I'd rate it around an 8.5 out of 10. I think the character development is great - we know so much about Sheldon, Leonard, Raj, Howard, Penny, Amy and Bernadette that I think they can almost feel like people we know in real life, sometimes. That to me is how I identify the worth and connection I have to a show a lot of the time.

I love that the show is factual in the scientific theory it presents - it's always nice to know the scriptwriters are doing their research.

The only complaints I really have about the show is that lately some of it feels like it's stagnating a bit at times - but that can happen when a show has already been around for such a long while. I'm excited to see some more changes in the characters lives that might shake things up a bit.

johanna white

Postby johanna white » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:27 am

I would give the show a 10/10. The story lines are always entertaining. All of the characters are likable. The show is never overly predictable. I always record new episodes on my dvr if I can't tune in.

Sevrin

Postby Sevrin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:46 pm

It's a great casual comedy. I like to just turn it on and unwind sometimes as I watch it. Sometimes the comedy is a bit far-fetched, and since I'm fan of realistic (if there's actually such a thing) comedy, it doesn't always make me laugh as much as it makes my friends laugh. Overall I definitely like the show, and I'd probably give it a 7.5/10 in terms of comedic value.