The women on BBT as role models

Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper are both brilliant physicists working at Caltech in Pasadena, California. They are colleagues, best friends, and roommates. They are also friends with their Caltech colleague’s mechanical engineer Howard Wolowitz and astrophysicist Rajesh Koothrappali. As they are self-professed nerds, all have little or no luck with popular women. Penny, a pretty woman and an aspiring actress originally from Omaha, live in the apartment across the hall from Leonard and Sheldon.
kim1984

The women on BBT as role models

Postby kim1984 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:29 pm

I read an article online recently which was all about how the women on Big Bang Theory are refreshing because they are all role models for strong women.

The article mentioned that Penny might not be a genius but is incredibly street smart and a hard worker who will do what she has to in order to reach her goals. It also talked about how Amy is a brilliantly smart scientist but still makes time for female friendships and her romantic relationship. Bernadette is another strong woman, who always says what she thinks and isn't afraid to bite back if someone insults her.

What do you think? Is the BBT a show that depicts strong women?

L_B

Re: The women on BBT as role models

Postby L_B » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:40 pm

Each female character is portrayed as independent females. They are able to take care of themselves. They are strong characters. I feel Penny is portrayed to be less intelligent but she does work hard and is a go getter. I like the characters that they play.

kim1984

Postby kim1984 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:10 am

L_B wrote:Each female character is portrayed as independent females. They are able to take care of themselves. They are strong characters. I feel Penny is portrayed to be less intelligent but she does work hard and is a go getter. I like the characters that they play.

That's right, despite Penny perhaps not having the 'book smarts' that the others have, she definitely has that feeling of being intelligent in her own way (and often having to explain things to the 'nerds' because they just don't seem to get real life, sometimes! :lol: ) and yes, I think she is a hard worker too.

serbog

Postby serbog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:18 pm

kim1984 wrote:
L_B wrote:Each female character is portrayed as independent females. They are able to take care of themselves. They are strong characters. I feel Penny is portrayed to be less intelligent but she does work hard and is a go getter. I like the characters that they play.

That's right, despite Penny perhaps not having the 'book smarts' that the others have, she definitely has that feeling of being intelligent in her own way (and often having to explain things to the 'nerds' because they just don't seem to get real life, sometimes! :lol: ) and yes, I think she is a hard worker too.

That is the point of the show. Only Penny is an outsider in the show, and she tries to fit in with the "nerds".