The women on BBT as role models

Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper are both brilliant physicists working at Caltech in Pasadena, California. They are colleagues, best friends, and roommates. They are also friends with their Caltech colleague’s mechanical engineer Howard Wolowitz and astrophysicist Rajesh Koothrappali. As they are self-professed nerds, all have little or no luck with popular women. Penny, a pretty woman and an aspiring actress originally from Omaha, live in the apartment across the hall from Leonard and Sheldon.
kim1984

Re: The women on BBT as role models

Postby kim1984 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:01 am

burrr wrote:I don't necessarily think it's all good. On the surface yes, there are many good things about them all. I actually think Penny is the best in terms of female role models. Amy, I have some issues with her relationship with Sheldon and the... subservience of it. The fact that she seems to want a sexual relationship but settles for a relationship that doesn't have it. Bernadette is a good role model in that she is a highly respected scientist, she brings home a good wage etc, but there are a few aspects of her relationship with Howard that set my teeth on edge occasionally. The way she takes a bit too much of a mother role, mainly. I know the joke is meant to be that she's replaced Mrs Wolowitz in his life but I don't always like the dynamic they portray of eg. her withholding his pocket money for him not doing chores. It doesn't create a very equal relationship between them.

They are still a lot better than plenty of women on other shows so I do try to overlook it though.

Those are some really good points you make there. As much as I like the "Shamy" relationship I do think that there's a bit too much compromise on the part of Amy - and you're right about Bernadette having a bit of an odd motherly role. Like you I do think it's just done for laughs but I have no doubt there are relationships like that in the real world too. Compared to some shows though I guess they're the lesser of other evils!

burrr

Postby burrr » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:50 pm

kim1984 wrote:
burrr wrote:I don't necessarily think it's all good. On the surface yes, there are many good things about them all. I actually think Penny is the best in terms of female role models. Amy, I have some issues with her relationship with Sheldon and the... subservience of it. The fact that she seems to want a sexual relationship but settles for a relationship that doesn't have it. Bernadette is a good role model in that she is a highly respected scientist, she brings home a good wage etc, but there are a few aspects of her relationship with Howard that set my teeth on edge occasionally. The way she takes a bit too much of a mother role, mainly. I know the joke is meant to be that she's replaced Mrs Wolowitz in his life but I don't always like the dynamic they portray of eg. her withholding his pocket money for him not doing chores. It doesn't create a very equal relationship between them.

They are still a lot better than plenty of women on other shows so I do try to overlook it though.

Those are some really good points you make there. As much as I like the "Shamy" relationship I do think that there's a bit too much compromise on the part of Amy - and you're right about Bernadette having a bit of an odd motherly role. Like you I do think it's just done for laughs but I have no doubt there are relationships like that in the real world too. Compared to some shows though I guess they're the lesser of other evils!

Thanks, I agree that it's done for laughs and I don't mind too much because at least the three women do all have some quite good qualities in terms of being female role models. It's good to see Bernadette and Amy in scientist roles too, I think that helped the show because at the beginning it was very much the sciencey nerdy boys and the ditzy blonde waitress. They do have good guest/temp characters with strong careers too, the doctor Leonard dated, Priya etc. Leslie Winkle is good too, and I liked the way she just used Leonard for sex and was open about it, often seen the other way around.

Amy's overly compromising is bearable because anyone who Sheldon dated, male or female would have to compromise so much because he won't. It's not a misogynistic thing, Sheldon just doesn't compromise with anyone. But sometimes from Amy's perspective, I wish she'd tell him to shove it and go get someone who'd be a better partner. It will be interesting to see how they change this dynamic over the next two seasons as Sheldon is making serious progress in their relationship.

Steve Dawson

Postby Steve Dawson » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:21 am

I think Penny will always be the main female character for me, as she was the one that was first introduced. Shes got a ditzy side occasionally but shes a strong independent woman who isn't afraid to speak her mind and never gets out of her depth with all those science freaks. Its a modern show and I'd expect nothing less than for them to have modern personas and modern attitudes. If anything its the male characters who have a more conventional, old-fashioned attitude. I'm hinting that Howard is a bit chauvanistic here.

alexiskilgannon

Postby alexiskilgannon » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:33 am

I think that they are wonderful rolemodels. Each of their characters portray strong, independent, and fun-loving women. I wouldn't mind my child looking up any of them.