TBBT Overrated?

Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper are both brilliant physicists working at Caltech in Pasadena, California. They are colleagues, best friends, and roommates. They are also friends with their Caltech colleague’s mechanical engineer Howard Wolowitz and astrophysicist Rajesh Koothrappali. As they are self-professed nerds, all have little or no luck with popular women. Penny, a pretty woman and an aspiring actress originally from Omaha, live in the apartment across the hall from Leonard and Sheldon.
TheViper

TBBT Overrated?

Postby TheViper » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:13 am

This is something I've been wondering for a while since TBBT has actually came about. The big problem for me is that the show isn't really that funny to me. I laugh and chuckle at various parts of the show but I wouldn't consider to be the greatest show ever. I think it is because I come from a different background and simply a different era of "comedy". What do you guys think?

haela

Re: TBBT Overrated?

Postby haela » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:45 am

TheViper wrote:This is something I've been wondering for a while since TBBT has actually came about. The big problem for me is that the show isn't really that funny to me. I laugh and chuckle at various parts of the show but I wouldn't consider to be the greatest show ever. I think it is because I come from a different background and simply a different era of "comedy". What do you guys think?

Oh, sure I hear you. The Big Bang Theory may not be the greatest comedy of all time. Nor does the show appeal to the masses. Still, if you tune in and get a laugh or two, the show serves its purpose.

You do make a valid observation, as I totally agree with about how comedy has evolved in the world of television. I think, sometimes the writers push the characters and content too far in some off color jokes and get a little degrading with generalizations. Still, if I am looking for a diversion, I tune in and get a a good laugh.

CommaCat

Postby CommaCat » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:52 am

I think the show is funny in it's own way. I can relate because I'm married to a science whiz, so it's entertaining in our house. There are other great comedies out there that we didn't care for...it's just a matter of personal preference. I definitely don't think TBBT is knocking down any walls or breaking any barriers, but it's worth a chuckle now and then. That being said, I definitely think it has lost some of its steam; the newer seasons just haven't been as entertaining to me as the older ones.

Emperor Joker

Postby Emperor Joker » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:29 pm

I really enjoyed it and the concept at first, but ultimately I think it just ran on too long. Characters were fundamentally changed or became caricatures of themselves, plot lines started to get recycled and I'm really not diggin' Penny's new haircut. I'm not expecting it to be the best comedy of all time, but I think it's just a case of it needed to have ended a while back because it feels like they've run out of ideas.